Foto: Mari Eriksson
I know this cake doesn’t look to sexy but it tastes divine. One of my favorite combo saffron and orange makes this cake stands out. The ricotta gives it the moist and the almond flour that dense marzipan texture I love. If you have been following me for a while you realize that I have almond meal in everything. I know I must stop but I can’t help myself and no one is stopping me so until I had enough I will continue this almond madness. Here you have almond both in the cake and the topping. I have added a yummy topping of a Swedish specialty Tosca – Caramel almond to top this cake of into the ultimate cake heaven!
Flour less ricotta and orange cake with caramel almond topping
For the Cake:
1/2 g of saffron
1 cup caster sugar
100 g melted butter
250 g ricotta
1 1/2 cup almond meal
3 tbsp cornstarch
2 teaspoons bakingpowder
pinch of salt
1 whole orange peel and the juice
For the Topping:
100g melted unsalted butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons milk
50 g flaked almonds
1. Pre set the oven to 200C. Mix 1 tablespoon of the sugar with the saffron in a mortar and mix it well. Add the rest of the sugar to the saffron mix in a larger bowl and add the eggs one by one. Whisk until light and fluffy.
2. Stir in the cooled and melted butter and the ricotta cheese. Mix well.
3. Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl without the flaked almonds and the powdered sugar. Gently turn this in with the egg-mix and add the orange peel and juice.
4. Pour the batter in a well greased baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes.
5. For the almond caramel topping add all the ingredients in a sauce pan and stir until it thickens. Take off heat.
6. Add the topping on the cool cake and dust off with icing sugar.